Venomous snake bites occur many times each year in the United States, Some of the most common Venomous snake bites will come from Rattlesnakes, Copperheads Snakes and Cottonmouth Snakes, These snakes are all from the pit viper family, Pit Vipers have movable fangs in the front of their mouth that fold up against the roof of their mouth when they are not in use. All pit vipers will also have “pits” in their head between their eyes and nostril; These Pits have organs in them that sense heat produced by warm blood prey such as humans. These organs are what help pit vipers become one of the most feared types of snakes in the world.
Venom from most pit vipers contains a toxic liquid called Hemotoxic proteins, these proteins destroy blood and tissue. Most all the pit Vipers have the same “potent” Venom; However Venom from a rattlesnake will be more toxic than the Venom of a copperhead snake.
Fact: The Coral Snake is the only venomous snake in the southeast United states that in not a pit Viper!

What happens when a snake bites?

One of the very biggest misconceptions is the extent of the damage that a snake can do to a human if bit. It is a fact that a human in the United States has a better chance of being killed by lighting than to die from a snake bite! Certainly some snakes can cause irreversible tissue damage and some can even cause death in some cases, but in most cases, snake bites rarely equal more than a Emergency Room Visit. The quicker you can get to the ER after being bitten by a snake, the better your chances of recovering from the situation with little or no tissue damage. Time is of the essence. The main thing is to stay calm, call 911 and relax, a elevated heart rate and repertory rate will only circulate the venom through your body quicker, causing more damage. STAY CALM!!

What type of treatment will I get?

As Stated above, a bite from a venomous snake should be treated as a medical emergency, Remain calm and remember, the possibility of dyeing from a snake bite is very rare. Most people fully recover with no lasting side effects. One thing to remember: Never cut a area that was bitten by a snake, the old wives tale about sucking out the venom is just plain crazy, DO NOT TRY IT!
Do not apply Ice to the bitten area, Do Not Use a tourniquet and Do not drink alcohol!
Some snakes will give what is known as a dry bite: A dry bite is when a snake bites but does not inject venom into its prey, this is done in a defensive bite from the snake. Most of the time a snake will only use it venom glands when it intends to kill its bite recipient as a food source. In most cases 65% of all snake bites are “dry bites”
Snake bites in Children are a bit worse, with children having smaller bodies and weaker systems, they are more susceptible to snake bites and they should always be transported to a medical facility as soon as possible. Even if you think the snake was harmless, if they have a mark on their body from a snake bite, they should be taken to the hospital for a medical examination, better to be safe than sorry!

We have been removing venomous snakes for over 20 years from homes and buildings, If you need a snake removal professional, please start your search here! All companies listed on our website have been prescreened to have all license and insurance to do snake removal and control work in the area they represent. No one should ever attempt to remove or capture a venomous snake without the proper equipment.

No time to call? Just fill out the form below!


Nuisance Animals